As you all know, a certain someone has a birthday in less than a week. I have discussed mt to do list on the last post, but I kind of wanted to talk about one of the items on that list in a little more detail.
Baby Bear is turning three, so I'm sure she is going to get way too many toys. Well when I was little the toys just piled up every year and when it came time to get rid of a few I had emotional meltdowns. lol. I was attached to every single toy and hated the idea of throwing away anything!
So when we had Baby Bear I decided that this wouldn't be the case! So before every holiday that involves gifts we do something together. I grab a box or a bag and I tell her that before she can get new toys we have to give some of her old toys that she doesn't play with to other boys and girls that would love to play with them. I hold up a toy and she tells me to keep it or give it. She actually does AMAZING with this. Yesterday we filled a huge garbage bag with small toys and stuffed animals that she has accumulated over this year. We kept all Disney items and stuffed toys that she loves, but we got rid of a ton of other little randoms. Now she has room in her toy box and toy drawer! So she can now get these
and many many more. I still have to do ribbon on a couple and make tags that say from Mommy and Daddy. But other than that we are done with her presents! (yay). But back to the point of my post, I love that we are getting her into the habit of making room for new things before she gets them! It also teaches her to donate things. I was awful about tossing things instead of donating before.
Do you purge before parties?









no we never have done this but I think it's a great idea! I'm going to try this with McKenzie!
ReplyDeleteawe im the same way!! I really need to go through my things to donate too!! there are SO many kids out there who have NO toys at all.. so happy you are teaching her this!! I bet she is super excited for her birthday!!
ReplyDeleteWhere do you donate them? Goodwill? I think this is an awesome idea!
ReplyDelete